I am a certified RYT 500 hour yoga teacher and have been classically trained in India.
My first steps into the world of yoga began when I was on a ski trip in Méribel, France in 2010. I was suffering from aches and pains after the first few days of skiing, compounded by the effects of some rather good après ski! My surf and yoga loving cousin, Dr. Annie, rolled out her yoga mat in our chalet one morning before we set off skiing and started playing a power vinyasa podcast on her iPod. I joined in, and loved the practice… even though this wasn’t a “real” class! For the rest of the ski trip I was hooked… yoga every morning!
Soon after the Méribel trip I moved to Sydney, Australia where there is a vibrant yoga community, and I became a regular yoga practitioner. In addition to attending group classes, I downloaded some podcasts and continued a self-practice as many mornings as I could on Bondi Beach with sunrise before heading in to the office. It was my teacher in Australia, Jordan, who guided me on the path to India…..
…. I spent the majority of 2014 in India totally immersing myself in this philosophy and practice, and completing yoga teacher training courses, practicing hard and taking my first steps into yoga teaching.
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear” ~ Buddhist proverb
In the first half of 2014 I completed my Yoga Alliance recognized RYT 500 hour teacher training course with one of the late, great, B.K.S Iyengar’s shining students, Bharath Shetty, of IndeaYoga. I also attended Shiva Rea’s Body as Temple Kalarippayatu Teacher Training Intensive in Kerala, India in February 2014. In the second half of 2014 I was assisting senior teachers (Raghu N.D. and Pratima Giridhar) at Bharathji’s local studio – Yoga Bharata, in Mysore, India. In addition to assisting, I also taught a couple of classes solo each week, with senior teachers either observing me/ practicing in the class and providing invaluable feedback after. I also completed a training course, the Art of Abhyanga, an Ayurvedic Massage and Special Healing Therapy course, at Mysore Ayurveda Retreat & Training.
As a self-confessed “all-or-nothing”, “type A”, personality, I love the fact that mastering one asana (posture) only means there is another challenging one ahead (yogic tradition says that there are 8.4m species in the world and there is one asana for each, capturing the life experience and qualities of each species in a relaxing position). But what really, really made me fall in love with yoga was the post-practice feeling of pure calmness, contentment, tranquility and clarity of mind.
My classes are intended to be challenging, make you sweat, activate your inner light, and ultimately leave you with a big smile on your face! I teach both classical hatha, and vinyasa styles of asana (physical posture) practice, with a special focus on alignment and core awareness. It is my duty, as a practitioner of yoga, to keep the purity of yoga and teach in as authentic a way as possible. Class sequences will vary from class to class. I also offer and may integrate some pranayama (breath control techniques), meditation and relaxation techniques into certain yoga classes.
I use both verbal cues and hands-on adjustments (unless student is uncomfortable with this). I encourage all students to really focus on lengthening the breath and to practice bodily awareness, which helps cultivate harmony between the body, mind and breath. In order to go deeper in practice, focus and coordination of body, breath and mind, music is not played in my class.
Classes are adapted to each individual’s level of practice and ability. So far, I have enjoyed working with children, corporate professionals, housewives, sports teams, people with injuries and people of all shapes and sizes. I strongly stand behind the philosophy of one of my teachers in India, Bharath Shetty, “health and bliss for all”.
- January 2014: IYT 250+ hour Level 1 Teacher Training – IndeaYoga, Mysore, India with Bharath Shetty (Yoga Alliance RYT 200 hour certification)
- February 2014: Body as Temple Kalarippayatu Teacher Training Intensive in Kerala, India with Shiva Rea
- March 2014: IYT Advance + Level 2 Teacher Training- IndeaYoga, Mysore, India with Bharath Shetty (Yoga Alliance RYT 500 hour certification)
Workshops and classes with the following world-renowned yoga teachers:
- Les Leventhal – Vinyasa Flow
- H.S. Arun – Iyengar Yoga
- Swami Yogananda (RIP) – Sukshma Vyayam Yoga (I took classes in Rishikesh with this amazing fruitarian when he was 105 years old!)
- Gurmukh Kaur Kalsa – Kundalini Yoga
- Matthew Sweeney – Ashtanga Vinyasa and Vinyasa Krama
- Deepika Mehta – Ashtanga Vinyasa
- Sri Dharma Mittra – Dharma Yoga
- Mark Robberds – Ashtanga Vinyasa
- February 2014: Assisted Bharath Shetty at an afternoon corporate yoga workshop for WIPRO Women’s network in Mysore, India.
- April 2014: Assistant Teacher (voluntary) to Raghu N.D. at Yoga Bharata Kids Summer Camp from 7-25 April 2014.
- June–October 2014: Karma Yoga volunteer at Yoga Bharata Shala, IndeaYoga, Mysore India. Activities & responsibilities included:
- Assisting senior teachers (Raghu N.D. and Pratima Giridhar) for 2-3 classes per day at the Yoga Bharata Shala (Monday to Friday). I also got the opportunity to teach these classes solo a couple of times per week, with senior teachers either observing me/ practicing and providing invaluable feedback after. Classes were a mix of guided/ led and Mysore Style;
- 2-4 hours of svādhyāya (self study) comprising 2-3 hours of Mysore Style asana and pranayama practice per day and additional reading of yogic texts; and
- 2-3 hours of helping out with office administration – building website, updating facebook page and community groups (Global Yoga Family and Mysore Yoga Community), writing monthly newsletter and general office admin tasks.
- August 2014: Delivered a special address on Peace and Service through Yoga at the inauguration of the seventh International Peace Conference at Mysore University.
2015: Yoga teacher to UCD AFC League of Ireland soccer team | Yoga teacher to Kilmacud Crokes senior gaelic football team | Held weekly classes in Mount Merrion Community Centre (2 x 6 week terms).
- 2016: Yoga teacher to UCD AFC League of Ireland soccer team.
- For current teaching schedule in Dublin, Ireland click here. Classes are scheduled around my working week.
I also hold a Bachelor in International Commerce (French), a Master in Accounting and I am a Chartered Accountant.